Using the translation editor
This procedure explains how to translate a file that has been opened in the translation editor.
- Double-click on a file to open it in the editor.
- Observe the layout of the translation editor:
- The left column holds the source text (normally in English).
- The middle column provides status information.
- The right column holds the target text.
NOTE: If the source file is in XML format, it will often include special codes. It is very important that these codes are transferred to the target text!
- Place the cursor in the first target field in the right column.
If the source text is located in the translation memory, the translation will automatically be copied into the target field. The "match" is indicated in the middle column. 100% is a perfect match. If the match is less than 100%, you must check the source text and the target text to adjust the differences.
- If the source text is new, press Ctrl-INS to copy the source text (including XML codes) to the target.
- Translate the text.
NOTE: Refer to the other procedures (links provided below) for more information about codes, structures and other details.
- Press Ctrl-Enter when the translation is finished.
The cursor moves to the next field.
Any relevant messages or message icons are presented in the middle column. Place the cursor on the top of an icon to read the message.
- Press Ctrl-S whenever required to save your work.
- Repeat until all the lines have been translated.
- Click File → Close (or Ctrl-F4) to close and save the file.