Purpose of manual
of an reference manual is to provide the end user with the required
- recognise the product's main components
- know the main operational features
- use the basic functions of the product in a safe and efficient
- take full advantage of the functionality and parameters provided
by menu system, tool bars, dialogs and other user interfaces
- understand technical specifications and interface requirements
Before writing can commence, you must know you target group:
who will use the manual. If required, the knowledge and experience
level of the expected reader may be defined in the chapter “About
this manual”. However, it is generally recognized that the
reference manual is primarily intended for expert users.
a general rule, a subset of the information in the reference manual
is also found in the operator manual.
on the NS5820, Form 5008 and IEC 62079 standards,
this is the standard structure of an reference manual provided by
Kongsberg Maritime AS.
NOTE: In order to offer consistent
documentation, the chapters in this manual must use the names listed.
The book must also provide the chapters in the specified order.
About this manual
User interface and/or
Display views and/or
- Presentation modes (if applicable)
Menu system (if applicable)
Functions and dialog boxes
Preventive maintenance procedures
- Theory of operation (if applicable)
- Telegram formats (if applicable)
- Software installation (if applicable)
Practical exercises (if applicable)
References (if applicable)